Wednesday, September 05, 2007
Lemon Cake - Delicious Served with Berries - Subscriber Submitted Recipes
Lemon Cake (Source: ivillage.com)
Submitted to KCnM by Dorina
This recipe makes two 8-inch loaves of the perfect summer dessert! Serve it with lemon curd, fresh raspberries or just enjoy it with a cup of tea.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 90 minutes
½ pound unsalted butter at room temperature
2 ½ cups granulated sugar
4 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1/3 cup grated lemon zest (6 to 8 large lemons)
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
¾ cup buttermilk at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two 8 ½ x 4 ¼ x 2 ½ inch loaf pans.
2. Cream the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, and the lemon zest.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine ¼ cup lemon juice, the buttermilk and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.
4. Combine ½ cup granulated sugar with ½ cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
5. When the cake is done, let them cool for 10 minutes, then invert them onto a rack set over a tray, and spoon the lemon syrup over the cakes. Allow the cakes to cool completely.
6. For the glaze, combine the confectioner's sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth. Pour over the top of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.
Based on individual serving.
Total Fat: 13 g
Carbohydrates: 65 g
Protein: 5 g
More delicious cakes on our website:
Labels: 7-up cake, cake recipes, recipes found, tunnel of fudge
Posted by HappySlob ::
5:22 PM ::
Post / Read Comments