Kitchen Crafts 'n' More

Saturday, August 25, 2007 Gluten Free Recipe from Cindi - a Family Dinner Recipe that is Delicious AND Frugal

Hi everyone,

I wanted to post this great email I received from Cindi, after posting a request here on the Kitchen Crafts 'n' More blog for gluten free recipes. Thanks for such a sweet email, Cindi, AND for a delicious family favorite recipe that I'm sure many of our readers will enjoy.



Hi Christina,

I am so glad you are going to include some gluten-free recipes. I have Celiac's Disease and have been gluten-free for about a year now.

I am putting together a recipe book (when I have time) and included this recipe. It is great for children. They absolutely love it and so do the adults.

I will send more recipes as I put them into the system.



Aunt Cindi’s Poor Folks Stir Fry
A favorite for everyone – really good!
The Story
Somewhere around the year 2002 when I used to keep an open house to all the children in the neighborhood, there was a little girl who was visiting as I was getting ready to cook dinner. There were a total of seven children visiting and including three of my own. I was trying my best to figure out what to fix that would accommodate all and would not be so expensive. This little girl jumped right in and gave me the following recipe and told me that it was a simple meal that would not cost much and she guaranteed everyone would love it. She was right and it was an absolute success without a piece of rice spared. Here goes:

1. Brown on low-med heat ½ lb of hamburger and set aside.
2. Begin cooking rice in rice cooker after hamburger is browned.
3. Chop about 4 or 5 stalks of Celery (or more)
Chop about 5 or 6 Carrots (or more)
Chop about 1 or 2 Onions depending upon size
(yellow onions always go best with beef)
Chop 3 cloves of garlic or use the minced garlic from a jar.
4. Saute onions and garlic from step 3 in olive oil on low-med heat in a large pan until onions are pretty much transparent but not browned.
5. Add other vegetables and sauté a bit. You want them saute’d, but still firm. In other words, don’t cook every single nutrient out of them.
6. Last, add the hamburger and let the flavors mix. Add garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.

7. Serve over rice.
You will make this again and again. YUM!
Also, for gluten-free products and other gluten free recipes visit:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten_free_info.php


Christina, I hope this is helpful for now. I will send you more later.

You email and website are such a joy! Thank you for all you do!

Wishing you the very best always,

Cindi :)

Labels: , , , ,


Posted by HappySlob :: 2:32 PM :: 0 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------