Kitchen Crafts 'n' More

Sunday, February 04, 2007 Seasoning Cast Iron Pans with Bacon Fat



I love to find old skillets anywhere no matter what kind of shape they are in. Trust me, some have seen better days! No matter what, I have been able to salvage each one of them. I know that one day my kids will move out and take every thing that isn't nailed down, including my skillets. So I have them stockpiled.
All I do to season them is.....clean them really well with an SOS pad, dry them on a low stove burner and when I want to season them, I just make some bacon! That's it, the mystery is solved. Bacon. My dad has a fit everytime Mom washes his "seasoned" skillet. A pound of bacon later, it's as good as used! (Who would want it new?) It's not necessary to use soap to wash them after that, all you need to do is wipe it out with a paper towel and it's good for next time. It's just like using Pampered Chef stonewear. Don't wash it when a wipe will do, right?


Hint Submitted by Becky - thanks for all the readers' tips on how to season cast iron skillets!

Labels: , , , , ,


Posted by HappySlob :: 9:59 AM :: 0 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------