Kitchen Crafts 'n' More

Sunday, December 17, 2006 Judi's Tips for Lump-Free Gravy - Easy Gravy Making Hints - Make Gravy in the Microwave

Here's a really cute email sent in to me by Judi...she's discovered the secrets of making lump-free gravy and wanted everyone else to know! Here's the content of her email:

Let me start with a tip I just dicovered myself.

Even after nearly 40 years of cooking, you can still learn new tricks. I have always had a problem making gravy. While I use both corn starch and flour, I prefer to use flour (the gravy will thaw better after freezing).

I disovered this by mistake, but I now make gravy in less than 5 minutes and

ta da NO LUMPS!!

I use the microwave oven

using a microwave safe (corningware, pyrex, fire king, etc) pan, remove a good 90% of the fat and put your drippings into the pan. For each cup of pan drippings, sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of flour over the top of the drippings

1. microwave one minute on high

2. remove from microwave oven - stir the not-yet-gravy (but don't worry about
breaking up lumps), sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour over the gravy

3. repeat step 1

4. repeat step 2

continue this until the gravy is of the consistency that you like - usually less than 5 minutes.

Since microwaves heat food from the inside out, the little lumps of flour are "exploded"
and no more lumps. I have used this method frequently since I learned it.

But I guess I should say as everyone else does - "microwaves vary"

Cuts down on gravy making time - I don't have to stand at the stove and stir!!

Posted by HappySlob :: 10:41 AM :: 0 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------